Friday, March 10, 2006

Friday High Fives (03/10/06)

This week's five items, ideas, and individuals that I am thankful for, appreciate, or admire.

Top Chef
It was bound to happen. TV Producers have finally come up with a reality TV show that realyl appeals to me. I just caught a repeat of the new Bravo show Top Chef last night and I am hooked. I am not really sure if it has been done before with other reality shows but I like the fact that two of the judges (Gail and Tom) are blogging along with the episodes and, from their first entries, look like they are going to be giving some serious commentary rather than just mailing it in with puff piece. After one episode it is tough to pick a winner but I think it is going to come down to Tiffani (who for some reason they decided to include that she was a bisexual on her bio page. huh?) and Harold with Harold winning it all. I think Tiffani has that desperation or urgency about her that will drive her to the finals but I think Harold's skill and talent are too much for her.

Big Ten Tournament
So glad the Big Ten finally wised up a few years ago and instituted the tourney. It adds that extra level of excitement and drama late in the season for fans and dollars in the pockets of the athletic departments so it was a win-win for everyone. Possibly the most important ramification of the Big Ten tournament is that a school who has a strong showing in the tournament can either firm up a NCAA bid or improve upon their seed.

South Side Irish Parade
A free-for-all debacle every year on the south side that is too fun to be missed. Last year I had two seperate instances where I legitimately feared for my life. It is also one of the few times of the year where if you stood at the corner of 111th and Western you could see every single south side stereotype all at once. Chicagoist has some good parade tips from last year that are worth checking out.

Carl "The Dinosaur Hunter" Everett
Thank you for reminding us that you are a bitter, crazy bastard. Even though I am not a Sox fan I appreciated the fact that you are batshit crazy and loved all the little things you did like talking about how important Jesus is in your life while wearing a "Pop Them Thangs!" shirt during a TV interview last post season. Your brand of crazy will be missed here in Chicago.

Birthdays
Celebrated my friend Ben's birthday last weekend and Em-dina's is coming up this weekend. I've always enjoyed celebrating birthday's and it is not just because it is an excuse to do 20 shots and not have to say your sorry. I like birthdays because they are like mini-holidays for whomever is celebrating and a reason to honor or show appreciation for those that are close to you.

Filed in: