Thursday, December 22, 2005

Cubs: Things that make you go hmmm.

So according to FOXsports.com's Ken Rosenthal the Cubs are considering a trade involving Mark Prior and Miguel Tejada.

Talks are supposedly stalled right now because the Cubs want a pitching prospect in return for Prior (I think rightfully so) and won't give up top prospect Felix Pie or other Cubs pitching prospects.

It is obvious to just about everyone that Big Z is and has been the ace of the Cubs staff for the last 2 seasons but I think giving up on Prior
(and in reality that is what they are doing since Prior just turned 24 in September and, barring further injuries, certainly has his best years still ahead of him) for the older Tejada who will turn 30 in May.

I am really torn on this. My gut is saying keep Prior and Z as your core since good starting pitching is so hard to find but adding a bat like Tejada's into the mix with Aramis and DLee is awfully appealing. When the Dodgers got into the Furcal bidding at the 11th hour and swiped Furcal from the Cubs and Braves I thought that LA over paid for him but now, in hindsight, I am not so sure. I understand that the Cubs have to give up something of value to get something of value I can't help but wonder if we'd be giving up too much for Tejada. All of a sudden $13M/year for Furcal and still having Prior in the rotation doesn't sound so expensive compared to Tejada in the lineup and Prior pitching for the perennial 3rd place Orioles.

Filed in:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home